Tuesday, 29 November 2011

Issue of the month: The Chernobyl Disaster...

My first ever Issue of the month was about the cruelty of Greyhound Racing...
Last month I discussed Pagaent Princesses or Pedophile Prey...
They went down quite well... so this month I thought I'd discuss something that really bothers me.. Nuclear Power Plants...

I never knew much about Chernobyl, just that it was a nuclear accident somewhere in the world and that my granny had temporarily fostered a girl from there long before I was born. This summer when I returned to Italy I stayed in my granny's house I discovered a book called 'Children of Chernobyl' by Adi Roche. I picked it up out of boredom and was shocked at what I discovered. I was horrified to learn the effects chernobyl had on thousands of people, how it's still effecting them today and how there are still power plants up and running after such a catastrophe!



On April 26, 1986, A reactor at The Chernobyl Power Plant, Ukraine, blew up. The accident was caused by technicians who were trying to install a security system two years after the plant had started working! A fire burned for ten days releasing 190 tons of radioactive materials into the environment. 

Two people were killed immediately from the explosion and 29 from radiation. 200 others became incredibly ill, some of them later died. It was estimated that eight years after the accident 8000 people had died from illnesses caused by radiation. Even unborn children are still effected by the disaster still inherit diseases from their parents today. 


Wind spread the radioactivity over Ukraine, Belarus and Russia but traces were found in Italy and France. The Soviet Government were responsible for a lot of deaths too as they tried to conceal the disaster but were forced to admit that there had been an accident at Chernobyl after two days, only then did the evacuation begin. As many as 7 million people have been effected, mainly children due to the inadequate medical treatment. 



A sarcophagus was built over reactor number four to stop emitting radiation but severe cracks have formed on the shell over the years and natural accidents such as earthquakes and strong winds could effect it. The most toxic environment in the world is still home to hundreds and thousands of people. Birth defects have increased by 200% and congenital deformities have increased by 250%.



Adi Roches book interviews several victims of the accident and goes into detail about the disaster. I really recommend it, it's truly given me a great insight into the Chernobyl catastrophe. 

The thing that sickens me the most is that nuclear plants are still operating in eastern Europe and there is still danger of a great catastrophe. Last March when an earthquake caused a huge Tsunami in Japan we all feared for an accident in the Fukushima power plant when the cooler system failed. We wouldn't have had to worry about that if there was no power plant to begin with.



Nuclear power effects the environment and humanity.The production of radioactivity causes huge amounts of pollution and damage to people, animals and the earth. There is also a huge problem with nuclear waste which can cause huge health problems... So why the hell are they still around? 

I got a lot of my facts from a thesis by Vassela Daskalova which I found online and from Adi Roches book, Children of Chernobyl. Adi Roche has since set up a charity for children effected by the accident. See the website here!.. 

I found an amazing photographer called Paul Fusco who photographed children effected by Chernobyl..
This is where I most of the disturbing pictures from, I highly recommend taking a look at more of his stuff as he captured perfectly the chaotic, catastrophic and disturbing effects this Nuclear plant had on people.
Click here to see his website.
Nuclear Power plants are no joke and we need to do everything we can to put an end to it! Spreading awareness is really important as, like me before I discovered the book, Many people are oblivious to the dangers they can cause.

x


Popular Posts