Tuesday, 13 December 2011

Another attempt at baking: Chocolate Orange Brownies...

I'm not the best baker in the world.. every cake I make comes out lopsided, flat or burnt but my post on the family recipe, Nutella Cake, back in October went down quite well so I thought I'd give it another go.
I'm a huge chocoholic so I once again went for something rich and chocolate filled!
I found a recipe in my cook book for chocolate orange brownies and to be honest.. I haven't a fricken clue where I got it from! Most likely online but I did add my own alterations.. (the orange, and some measurements).
So here we go.. My recipe for Chocolate orange Brownies.

You will need...

120g butter or Margarine
60g self raising flour
225g soft brown sugar
45g cocoa powder
2 eggs
Grated rind of one large Orange.
1/2 tsp baking powder
If you're a fan of nuts you can pop in 30g of ground almonds, I left them out.
Icing
40g normal butter
60g cocoa powder
230g icing sugar
2 tbsp water
Malteasers (also optional)

Let's get started!
First pre-heat your oven to 150 degrees.


Sieve flour, baking powder & cocoa powder into a large mixing bowl.


Add ground almonds (If using), sugar and orange rind and mix well together.


Add butter and eggs and beat together with a wooden spoon until smooth.


Have a greased baking tray at the ready. Add the mix...Pop it in the oven at 150 degrees for 50 minutes. You'll know it's ready when a knife comes out clean.


While your waiting whip up the icing. It's so easy! All you have to do is mix the butter, cocoa powder and icing sugar together, add small amounts of water if necessary and voila!.. 

When your brownies are done in the oven take them out and let them cool for 15 minutes.

Spread the icing on top of them, I was planning on adding crushed malteasers to the top but it was rich enough without them so I didn't bother.

Cut into squares....

and serve... :) They came out a lot more flat than they should of due to my baking tin being way too big, I'll just have to double the ingredients next time! 
The brownies actually taste like Terry's chocolate Orange bars.. I love them.. 
They're very rich though and it's hard to eat more than two.. or three... 

x



Popular Posts