Thursday, 1 March 2012

Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Another book review?.. From I? The girl who usually reads half of a book each year?
I'm proud of myself right now!

So you've all probably heard of the HBO series Game of Thrones, It's probably not everyone's cup of tea but if you're open minded about the shows you watch I highly recommend it. I must warn you though it's highly addictive and I managed to watch the whole first series in three days!
As one of my cousins once said; 'The general geekiness of it all is made up for by the gory fighting and the raunchy sex scenes!'
Now as you probably know from previous book reviews I'm not the biggest reader and would much rather sit in front of the TV.. but when I finished watching the first series I had to get the book.. I just needed to be back in that fantasy filled world.



Set in an action filled, mystical, medieval land where dragons once soared through the skies and mad kings once ruled, Seasons last for years and the seven kingdoms are ruled by an unfaithful, drunken king.. yet outside these kingdoms is an unknown world of dark inhabitants and.. winter is coming!

I think, for me, the best part of the book is it's characters. With so many and so much diversity in their personalities, ages, appearances and beliefs, you can't help but feel some sort of bond with each of them.
Daenerys Targaryen would have to be my favourite and the intense romance between her and Khal Drogo,the barbaric leader she is forced to marry,  had me rushing through chapters just to get to her part!

Daenerys Targaryen played by Emilia Clarke in the hit HBO show Game of Thrones

The book itself is huge and appears to be a daunting at first glance, but the authors style of writing is amazing yet easy to read which is one thing that keeps those pages turning for me, and at the end of the night I've always learned a new word or two!

Although there are so many families and kingdoms the author has been so kind as to supply the reader with maps at the front and an appendix of each of the different houses and the people within them at the back, so whenever I get confused I can just flick a few pages and problem solved!

George R.R Martin is an absolute genius with a warped yet wonderful mind filled with crazy and sometimes disturbing idea's... (Sounds like the perfect man for me! lol) He has truly made a series of epic books and now an amazing TV show.

I'm mad into Gossip girl and 90210, and would usually opt for a more girly read so I'm shocked at how much I enjoyed this book and highly recommend it to every girl (and boy) out there.
I know this review doesn't tell you much about the storyline but I truly don't want to ruin the experience for you. So the next time your in Easons looking for a good read I suggest you head to the Fantasy aisle and pick this baby up.

x

Popular Posts