Saturday, 21 July 2012

Labyrinth

This post is dedicated to one of the most magical film of all times, Labyrinth. 
I had completely forgotten about the movie up until a few weeks ago and it brings back such wonderful memories from my childhood. Being young when I first seen it, I never really took into account, or appreciated the hard work and unbelievable artistic abilities of the late Jim Henson, Brian Froud and the phenomenal team they had behind them!
One thing I did always appreciate was David Bowie, who played Jareth.. I'm pretty sure I used to pray at night that the Goblin King would come take me and bring me to that magical world! 
So instead of posting about a designer, or an artist today, I'll be taking you on a trip down memory lane...


With a $25 000 000 budget the production made sure everything was down to a tee! 
One of my favorite things about the whole film was the costumes, particularly those in the ballroom scene. The dress that a young, fifteen year old Jennifer Connoly wore was absolutely amazing! I remember thinking she was the most beautiful thing in the world when she stepped onto the screen.I'd love my wedding dress to be a more toned down version of this! (in 50 years time when I'm actually getting married!) 
Not to mention the fabulous, shimmering costumes that Bowie sported and the venician styled dresses and masks worn by the extra's in the scene. To Ellis Flyte and Brian Froud, thank you for your breathtaking, jaw dropping, inspiring creations.

The conceptual designs in the film were based on the fabulous sketches of Brian Froud.. Funnily enough his own son ended up playing the part of the baby when he came out of the womb looking exactly like the child in Frouds own sketches!




The characters that made the film so fantastic were mainly composed of puppets! 


When I said down to a tee I meant it... The wall of hands in the film were actually actors on the other side wearing gloves, who had experimented and practiced for endless hours to create faces  with their hands.

...and lastly what was, and still is one of the most romantic scenes I've ever seen in my life, the ballroom scene with David Bowie singing 'As The World Falls Down'...


If I keep going on I'll be here all night!
The reason I know all of this information, and more, is because I watched the making on Youtube and I was left in complete awe! 
If you're sitting at home bored and need something to do I highly recommend you watch it, It gives you an insight into the wonderful world of the Labyrinth and you'll appreciate the movie a million times more after seeing the hard work that went into it!


Do you love the film? Any other childhood movies you still love today?
Just to let you ladies know I'm flying off to Ibiza for a week tomorrow night (Monday morning) so if you don't hear from me, fear not, I'll be back in a week, hopefully with a handful of outfit posts to show you! 

x

Popular Posts