Sunday, 15 July 2012

Wearing Bindi's: Yay or Nay?...

Ahh the Bindi... a South Asian decorative and religious sign which is known to represent hidden wisdom, a third eye or something that protects against demons or bad luck..
The Bindi can be a red dot, a teardrop shaped embellishment or even a piece of jewelry placed on the middle of your forehead.
Lately though, Bindi's have become somewhat of a fashion statement. From celebs wearing them, to your everyday girl walking down the street.



When I attended a music festival last month I sported a bindi every day!
It's pretty ironic as, when I was a child, with my sallow skin and dark eyes, people always mistook me for an Indian person.. For some strange reason I used to get annoyed about it.. 'I'M ITALIAN' was a phrase I commonly used. Nowadays I'm finding myself absolutely loving Bindi's, head chains and turbans, any accessory that can enhance any little bit of Indian in me, as I truly believe that they're the most beautiful people in the world!



So although I've never worn a Bindi on a proper night out, I'm planning on stocking up from a little store in town before my holidays... 
I've been spotting so many ladies wearing them on nights out lately and they've even become available in high street stores such as Primark/Penneys! 

(Myself wearing a Bindi at a recent music festival)

Now although the little hippy inside me loves them, I've been hearing people complain about the Bindi...
My cousins, for example, aren't too happy about the fact that I'm planning on making them a key part of my summer wardrobe.. they think it's plain stupid looking, everyone is entitled to their opinions, so I'll let that fly!
I've also heard about articles which state that wearing these beautiful gems can be deemed as a sign of racism... I see people wearing rosary beads, holy bracelets and cross imprinted clothing daily, and despite the fact that they're probably not even Catholic, It doesn't bother me in the slightest, so I don't see why wearing a Bindi can be seen as offensive..

I'd love to hear your take on this ladies... What do you think of Bindi's? Yay or Nay?
Do you think they're silly looking? Do you find people wearing them offensive? 
Do you love them but can't seem to find the guts to wear them? Or are you completely obsessed like me?
Don't be afraid to be honest, I'm open to all opinions!
-:)

x

Popular Posts