Wednesday, 20 March 2013

Byzantine Beauties...

I'm still amazed by the fact that designers today are constantly being inspired by the styles of centuries ago and whenever I spot an editorial, collection or exhibition that reminds me of a period I've studied I love to talk about it! What better way to do this than through my little bloggy-wog?

The Chanel pre-fall 2011 collection is one of my favourite examples of Byzantine style from 200BC and onwards as it is based on the Empress Theodora and the lost culture of Byzantium.
The textures, shapes and colours can be compared to those in the world famous mosaic of St Justinian which remains in the Basilica di San Vitale, Ravenna.

Other elements in the collection can be linked back to Byzantine times such as the jewels around the necks being similar to the Monakis of the times (A wide, embroidered collar covering the shoulders)
and the coats being similar to the Dalmatica (A wide, heavy, decorated overskirt most commonly used by Emperors at the time.)







What do you ladies think of this collection?

As most of you have might have noticed I've been missing from the blogging scene for a few weeks due to an overload of college work, therefore I'm not extremely sure about this whole Google+ getting deleted thing, but if it's true and you want to continue reading my blog why give me a follow on Bloglovin over here ->
..or check out my Facebook page here!
I follow most blogs on there but if I'm not a follower of yours be sure to let me know and I'll check it out!

x



Popular Posts