Tuesday, 17 December 2013

Mariano Fortuny Y Madrazzo

Excuse my shortage of blog posts this week! I've been getting loads of shifts in work (more dolla bills woo!) and now I'm just waiting for payday so that I can finish my Christmas shopping and start wrapping and giving! :)
I'm constantly writing about the runway and I love finding fresh, young designers. Today, for a change, I'm going back in time to take a look at a historical designer. Mariano Fortuny was Spanish and opened his couture house in 1906, it lived on until 1946.
His designs were inspired by the past, by the light, airy clothing of greek women that clung to the body and accentuated the natural curves and shape of a woman's body.
Rebelling against the style lines that were the norm in this era, Fortuny was responsable for creating the Delphos gown, a shift dress made of hand pleated, delicate silk and weighed down by glass beads that held the shape and flowed on the body. He also made his own dyes and pigments using ancient methods.  








I'd be delighted to see styles like these flaunted on the red carpet today!
They're just timeless and unbelievably elegant and chic!
What do you ladies think of them?

x



Popular Posts