Tuesday, 3 December 2013

The Christmas Tag!


DO YOU PREFER A REAL CHRISTMAS TREE OR SYNTHETIC?

Definitely Synthetic! The one year that me and my mum went all out and decided to get a real tree it took us about an hour to fit the thing in the car! Another few hours on top of that to decorate the thing and then to our horror, just a week after putting it up we came downstairs one morning to find it completely rotten! I mean brown branches to the floor, decorations everywhere and a horrid smell! After that we decided to stick to the norm and unpack our synthetic tree!

I just had to share this picture of my dog, when myself and my sister were abroad last year and my parents were childless they decided to dress him up as a reindeer and bring him to see santa! How terrified does he look? hahaha!


YOU'RE IN A COFFEE SHOP, IT'S DECEMBER, WHAT DO YOU PICK?

I always go to Butlers chocolate cafe and order a hot chocolate with coconut syrup and cream! It's very rich and super sweet so I wouldn't have it every day, but it's a great treat during these cold winter months! Not to mention that you get a free chocolate of your choice to top it all off!

WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE COLOUR SCHEME FOR DECORATING THE TREE?

Unfortunately I never have a say in decorating the tree! My mum has a serious shopping addiction which only worsens when it comes to decorations! Every year she comes home with something new.. One year she bought tiny frames to hang on the tree and put pictures of the family in them.. cute but very cringy.. another year she came home with these feather peacock decorations that had absolutely nothing to do with Christmas... it looked ridiculous! If I could have it my way I'd go back to the red and gold decorations and singing, flashing lights that we had growing up! They were so beautiful!



GIVING OR RECEIVING?

Definitely giving! When I've budgeted well and had the time to put a lot of thought into peoples presents, and just know it's something they'll like, I love giving them! Last year I was abroad and absolutely broke when I came home for Christmas but this year I'm a lot more prepared and once payday comes I'll be shopping until I drop!

TO MINCE PIE OR NOT TO? 

Nahh.. Not a big fan! Funny story.. when I was in my final year of school we had to make mince pies as part of a continious assessment for our home economics exam. The teacher asked us to go to our local supermarket and price at least 5 'Mincemeat' brands.. I, not knowing what Mincemeat was, went to Tesco's and priced actual raw minced meat or as some call it ground beef! The teacher actually laughed out loud when I went up to show her my work.. I think after that she probably seen me as the bimbo of the class for my remaining time in school!

WHAT'S YOUR TRADITIONAL SUNDAY LUNCH?

So on Christmas day my mam cooks up a feast! I have a huge family and on the day some cousins, aunts and uncles come over. We love our traditional Christmas dinner but being Italian, it has a bit of a twist! We start off with a traditional Italian starter, a few cheeses, olives, cured Parma ham (I think that's what it's called in english) wrapped around melon and bruschetta. The next course is stracciatella, a traditional Italian soup made with egg, parmesan cheese and broth. It sounds icky but it's absolutely delish! The next course is Lasagne and canneloni, (yes both!) home made of course.. I know it's so random to eat such a thing on Christmas day but that's just how us Italians do it, no meal is complete without a pasta dish! Mmmm Carbs! After the pasta it's time for Turkey, Ham, stuffing, Brussel sprouts, and roast potatoes. At this point we take a break as we're all about to die of the meat sweats or burst out of our clothes. Then comes desert, there's always a nice selection of either cake or home made sherry trifle. Then comes the espresso, because no meal in my house would be complete without it! I know everyone usually pigs out at Christmas, but our six courses really take the cookie! ...and then people wonder why I love Christmas so much!



CHRISTMAS DAY FASHION

It used to be dressed up to the nines, I'd usually opt for a super classy outfit like a pencil skirt, a shirt and killer heels, one year I even went for the Tuxedo look, complete with dicky bow, which I loved! Last year however, I came to my senses and decided to be traditional and wear a cosy Christmas jumper and flat boots. We don't leave our house on Christmas day, and the only people we spend time with are our close family and friends, so I just don't feel the need to crawl out of bed any earlier just for the sake of looking great! I do however head out clubbing on St Stephens night and new years eve, and that's when the party dresses and heels come out!



WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE CHRISTMAS SONG?
Fairytale of New York by the Pogues, and I'm not being biased because of their Irishness, It's just an epic song!

WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE CHRISTMAS FILM?

The Grinch! I love it so much that I even find myself watching it in the summer! Jim Carey is such a legend!

OPEN PRESENTS BEFORE OR AFTER LUNCH?

We actually do it differently in my house, ever since I found out the big news about a certain round fat man, we began opening our presents after midnight on Christmas eve.. We eat in my aunts house that night and usually stay quite late (poker and whatnot..) and the minute we get home our presents get torn open. I wish I had the patience to wait until morning but I literally will not sleep with the suspense. It also gives us a few extra hours of sleep on Christmas day before we've to get up and start cooking!

I pass this tag on to everyone :)
x

Popular Posts