Saturday, 18 April 2015

The Ultimate Festival Check List


The first time I went to a festival I had no idea what I was in for. My friend sent me over a list of things I’d need and over the years I’ve learned from experience and altered it more and more. When sleeping in a tent for three days and still trying to look fresh without showers there are a few sneaky products that can definitely help. So for all of the Festival First timers and regulars too, here’s what you’ll need to survive a Festival.


Basics
-Obviously you’ll need a tent, don’t rely on buying one there. One year me and my silly friends brought our tent but forgot the poles, we were forced to buy a tent there and it set us back 60 quid on our first day!

-A padlock. It’s nice to bring a padlock for peace of mind. An open tent will definitely attract scaldy’s who go down there with the sole purpose of ruining peoples festival spirit. 

-A sleeping bag of course, and I always recommend bringing a blanket for extra warmth, to use as a pillow or to sit on outside your tent. Argos always sell good quality ones at great prices.

-Black bags. These will be your best bud, when there are three or more girls in one tent things are bound to get messy, Keep all of your rubbish in a black bag and if it rains you can use them to sit on and avoid getting a mucky bum.

-Toilet paper, and loads of it! Seriously bring a few rolls, keep them in your tent and always have some on you. Those portaloo’s usually supply some but by day two there won’t be a piece in sight.

-A torch/flashlight. As if the portaloos aren’t horrific enough, there are no lights in them so always bring a small hand torch, or even a large one. Releiving yourself in a pitch black box with a clogged toilet when you're drunk is not fun. It’s also nice to have one in your tent so that you can see what’s going on and party in there once the music is finished. One year my friend actually borrowed a real lantern from work and it was perfect for lighting up our tent and running around the festival at night like little fairies!

-The schedule. This is something I always rely on my more responsible friends to bring.. You may get caught up in the excitement and preparation in the days beforehand, but don’t forget to pack a schedule so that you know what’s going on and where and don’t miss any of your favorite acts.

-A phone. If you opt to bring a phone rummage through your house and try to find an old, sturdy one like a Nokia. I bring my iphone every year and the battery literally lasts me half a day, pointless!
 
Clothing
We all want to look like Bohemian Queens at festivals, but don’t forget that when night comes those short shorts won’t keep you warm!

-Bring a warm, oversized hoody to wear or just to sleep in. Fur coats are always handy if you want to still look trendy and remain warm, but by the time night comes nobody really cares what they look like.

-Bring a few pairs of leggings to layer under what you’re wearing. I always wear Harem pants at festivals as they’re comfy and it practically feels like you’re wearing your Jim Jams, at night I throw leggings under them to keep me snug and warm.

-Don’t forget your wellies! Even if it’s dry as the dessert there still manages to be soggy, muddy patches by the last day.

-Fluffy socks, I bring these everywhere regardless but it’s at festivals you’ll need them most! Go to Penneys and stock up, they’re great for sleeping in and wearing under boots, runners and wellies.

-Don’t forget your clean knickers!

-Sunglasses will not only protect your eyes from the sun, they’ll also hide your zombie hungover face during the day!

Food & Beverages
If you plan on buying your food there, prepare to spend big bucks. Food stalls know they can get away with ripping desperate festival go-ers off and you can end up paying up to €10 for a burger and chips! I always recommend bringing some snacks of your own for between meals.

-Fruit and Veg. If you want to last all three days try to stock up on power foods. They’re also one of the only foods that won’t go off in your tents. Apples, Bananas, Oranges and carrots, whatever you like to keep your Vitamin levels up.

-Nuts are also great for giving you energy and filling you up, Almonds, Brazil nuts, or a few mixed bags. Cereal bars are also handy and you’ll need that fiber to keep your body functioning.

-Do not avoid eating, seriously, don’t!

-Water and lots of it. I always bring two one liter bottles of water with me to assure that I’ll drink loads and keep hydrated back at the tent. You’ll also need it for brushing your teeth!

-I really hate Barocca’s but when you wake up in a tent feeling like death and know you’ve two days more ahead of you, get it into ya!

-Most festivals will not allow you to bring glass bottles in, so either pour your spirits into plastic bottles or you can buy handy little alcohol pouches in most pound shops.


Beauty
Festival style has become huge in the last few years and we all want to look great every day, but let’s face it, after all day drinking sessions and dancing all night our skin isn’t always in top form.

-Baby wipes. You will NEED these! Not only can you take your makeup off with them but you can also have a sneaky wash and freshen up in your tent when you’re feeling a little smelly.

-Deodorant – Opt for travel sized bottles which you can get in Boots. If you need any more than that I have serious concerns for your swear glands…

-Dry Shampoo, By day two your hair will already be a disgrace, Make sure to bring a good hairbrush and some dry shampoo. My product of choice is ‘No Drought’ from Lush. It’s a natural, powdered version and the lemon in it will help to refresh your scalp, absorb oil and prevent greasiness. You can get it in a small bottle which is festival friendly too!

-Makeup, The best advice I can give you here is to take it easy on the makeup. If you’re caking it on twice a day for three days your skin is going to look miserable.. and the more you have on the more likely it is that come night time you’ll look like a diseased raccoon/panda. Try wearing just concealer, a bit of mascara and liquid liner, and if you feel the need some blusher too. If you aren’t confident to go without foundation try to find a nice, light one that won’t block up your pores. (Clinique beyond perfecting concealer and foundation duo is my go to)

-Breath of Fresh air, another Lush product that is a festival essential for me. Breath of Fresh air is a toner water which contains Lavender and Rose. After taking your makeup off you can spray some directly on your face, not only is it super refreshing, it will work wonders for your skin. I also use this on my body to freshen up throughout the day.

-A decent mirror is handy to have. If you have any larger makeup compacts like the Naked Palette bring it along, even if it’s just for the bigger mirror.

-Sunscreen, This isn’t something I’d usually need as I’m sallow and used to Mediterranean weather conditions, to my surprise the first time I have ever been sunburnt was at body and soul last year. Be sure to bring a high factor, especially if you’re pale and prone to burning, and keep it topped up throughout the day.

-Plasters – The first year I went to a festival I brought Pink, Hello Kitty plasters in my purse. Surprisingly a lot more people needed them than I thought, so bring some along just to be safe.

-Moisturizer, I know I sound like a Diva here but there’s nothing worse than having dry skin in my eyes, and when you have no showers for three days a squirt of moisturizer can do amazing things for your skin. My festival Moisturizer of choice is the Vaseline Spray and go, it’s quick and effortless and the coconut scent is delightful!

-Toothbrush and toothpaste, you don’t want to knock anyone out with your smelly alcohol breath!

There ya have it now.. So are you heading to any festivals this year?
I'm going to Forbidden Fruit and am hoping to go back to Body & Soul, it all just depends on the money situations so I'll see closer to the time.
I hope this check list helps you on your Festival adventures :)

x
Little Miss Boheme

Popular Posts